“Acne is not something that is physically debilitating; It’s more so emotionally debilitating.”
- Mary B. Dunn
According to PubMed, up to 9.4% of the world’s population is suffering from the worst phase of acne. This lists acne as the eighth highly prevalent disease in the world. It has affected a massive area of Sydney, Australia the most. There are plenty of reasons behind it ranging from the climate changes to the lifestyle. Some epidemiological studies have proven this skin condition as a common state among all post-pubescent teens.
However, it is portrayed as a scourge of teenagers; acne can ruin people’s skin from all groups. Additionally, as per NIH (National Institute of Health), more than 80% of people ranging between 11 to 30 years experience a sudden outbreak at the same point in time. What makes a living with acne more miserable is wrong beliefs.
Here are some common facts about acne to make you more aware of this skin disease-
- There is no certified process to stop the development of acne in your skin. All you can do is heal it with some dermatological treatments.
- Acne does not appear due to unhygienic measures like – sweat or poor skin hygiene. It does not affect the clogged pores anyhow.
- Some people believe in harsh exfoliating to get rid of acne; its real solution lies in salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, etc.
- Using soap and water combination to treat acne will not help you see positive results.
- Acne has no connection with your diet. There is no scientific reason or association of acne with fried food, chocolates, or other food types. It is a disease that grows within the inner layer of skin, making it appear acne on the outer layer.
Common types of acne –
Different acne marks on the skin represent a kind of lesion. The mildest form of acne is whiteheads or blackheads, which may not be apparent on the skin but continue with the skin damage to the roots. These black or whiteheads turn into a significant problem when converts into –
- Cysts – pus-filled lesions which cause scarring or deeper irritation.
- Papules – Do you see those small pink bumps on your skin? These are called papules that begin with small bump formation and laters start to ruin the skin texture.
- Nodules – These are large and solid lesions that are lodged more profoundly into the skin for maximum damage. This acne type tends to leave a rapid and notable change in your skin.
- Pustules – Have you noticed those pus-filled lesions on your cheeks leaving a red-colored appearance on the skin? That’s called pustules or pimples.
How much time does acne treatment take?
Acne is a severe and harmful skin disease that comes with a longer impact than your imagination. Generally, it appears for years, but you may not see its impact for long when you take good care of your skin. A quality anti-acne product takes a few weeks to show positive results.
One of the biggest mistakes that every sufferer makes is the usage of multiple products to fasten up the recovery process. However, the intent may be good, but the results are not. It can worsen the stage of acne for you. More the proper product usage, it is your patience that gives you progressive results. Give your treatment or products at least 4 to 6 weeks to show impeccable results. The worst cases of acne take at least three months to see improvement.
Some vital preventions to bring out the best –
Wash your face twice –
Excessive dirt or sweat on the outer layer of the skin can worsen acne. Therefore, one must wash the face at least twice a day to stop its spread. There is a set technique to wash your face with active acne issues. If you do not know the right way, ensure to reach a dermatologist. For instance, people suffering from acne can visit a skin care clinic Sydney to learn how to preserve their acne-prone skin—at one stage, consulting professionals works as the best way to deal with growing acne issues.
No more scrub –
You need to come out of the misconception that scrub gives you wave off acne. An active acne-prone skin can worsen with harsh scrubbing. Although, for a while, you may feel no sign of dirt or oil on the outer layer of the skin, soon the acne will burst out, making it worse for you.
Do not touch or pop acne –
People have a common belief that if they pop the acne, they will get rid of it. Believe it or not, it’s a myth. Instead, it exacerbates the situation for you. Acne is a skin disease which when touched, can spread quickly. Therefore, avoid touching your face, especially acne-prone areas.
Common symptoms of acne include –
Acne is treatable only when you know how to deal with it. But above all, ensure that you have ample knowledge about its early signs. Here are some of them –
- Painful and pus-filled bumps (also known as cystic lesions)
- Nodules (large and solid lumps)
Causes of acne –
When the skin starts to make tiny holes on its upper surface, you may start seeing some early signs of acne. These holes in the skin are known as hair follicles that worsen with time when left untreated.
Sebaceous glands are tiny glands found on the upper surface of the skin. These glands are connected to hair follicles which promote hair growth. The sebaceous gland is the major source of lubrication for hair and skin, which stops it from dehydration. The oil produced during this process is referred to as sebum.
When the skin gets acne-prone, sebaceous glands release excessive oil, which further mixes with the dead skin cells. This leads to severe acne issues. It turns the harmless skin bacteria into dangerous ones for the skin texture. As a result, you see an excessive number of nodules, papules, cysts, and pustules on your skin.
The bottom line is that,
Acne is turning out to be a common skin-related problem among all age groups. What elevates its impact is the consistent experiments with the treatment and preventive measures. If you feel the circumstances are going out of control, one must consult a dermatologist to the earliest.