Winter brings all the good things in life like catching the first snowflakes, playing winter sports, Christmas, and New Year.
But with the festivities and the hot chocolates, the weather starts getting dry. Thus, winter eye care needs to become a priority. It is common to get dry eyes in winter due to the weather, which can be uncomfortable and irritating, to say the least, but can also lead to other eye problems. Some people also suffer from blurry vision in winter. The conditions may worsen if you already have dry eyes.
Here are some useful eye health tips for winter eye care.
We all seek comfort and warmth in the cold winter season. But keep these tips handy for winter eye care while enjoying the season.
- Bonfires are a delight in winters but try to avoid a direct view of the fire. It increases the risk of dry eyes as the moisture in your eyes gets evaporated with heat. It further triggers dry eyes in winter.
- Sunlight is not suitable for the eyes. So whenever you get to enjoy some winter sun with winter sports, don’t forget to put on protective eye gears or sunglasses.
- Surprise! Hidden behind the clouds, the Sun emits the equal amount of UV rays in winter as in summers. Buy the right quality sunglasses to protect your eyes from the damage of UV rays.
You Are What You Eat!
- It is proven through various researches that omega-3 fatty acid protects eyes from drying up. So include lots of walnuts, fish, flaxseed, and soya bean oil in your winter diet. Healthy eyes will not get easily affected by issues like Blurry vision and dry eyes in winter.
Parties & Celebrations
It is time to eat, drink, and to dance the night away! You will dress up and do make up a lot of time.
- Maintain eye hygiene. Always wash your face with warm water before going to bed. Don’t forget to remove all the eye makeup after the party. Share your food and happiness. But don’t share your eye makeup to prevent infections.
Beware of Electronic Devices
We spend more time at home with electronic devices in chilly weather. You need to take winter’s eye care, even when you are indoors.
- A laptop, computer, or TV screen further dries your eyes. So while chilling with Netflix, make sure you get away from the screen after every 20 minutes. And look towards an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds straight.
- Try to keep your central heating system at a lower room temperature. Blink often and use a humidifier if possible. You can opt for a lubricant also to keep your eyes moist.
Ideally, your eyes should not get affected by winter if you follow all the winter eye care tips diligently. But still, if you encounter issues like blurry vision or dry eyes, please contact an eye care doctor in your area.
Aaron Barriga is the online marketing manager for Insight Vision Center. With a knack for understanding medical procedures, and an interest in eye and vision health, Aaron loves to share what he knows and what he learns. He blogs to inform readers about the latest eye care technology and other topics related to eye care, especially LASIK. Aaron loves collecting coasters from the different bars and restaurants he visits during his travels.