Raising a cute little child that is a mini you can be an enthralling experience. There are so many moments and milestones to look forward to; every day, they do something new that thrills the parents. Watching them grow right in front of you is a privilege that every parent cherishes. All of you want to give the absolute best of everything to your tiny toddler, including the fanciest wardrobe. The outfits and footwear collection for kids today are insanely cute. There are thousands of colors, patterns, themes, and styles to choose from, giving you free rein while dressing your child in the most adorable junior’s fashion.
However, there are a few things more important than fashion when it comes to choosing footwear for babies, comfort, and utility being at the top. Since your child’s body is highly sensitive in the growth stage, you need to know what works and what doesn’t in terms of footwear. This blog will help you avoid mistakes while buying baby shoes and picking the right ones., so keep reading along!
Your babies have incredibly soft bones which need space to grow. Anything too constricting or hard will affect the way their feet develop. Also, unsupportive footwear can create problems later on, which is why there are things you need to watch out for while buying baby shoes. Take into account the mistakes mentioned below while buying baby shoes.
- Not remembering that babies grow really fast: It is easy to get carried away and go all out while buying new baby shoes for your child. However, up until a certain age, they grow at an incredible speed. This means that anything you buy for them today, be it cutesy clothes, socks, or shoes, they will outgrow in weeks! Imagine what a waste of money and resources it is if you have to keep buying new shoes and clothes every few weeks.
- Online shopping for baby shoes with varying size charts: Online shopping can be a challenging experience if you’re looking at a store that doesn’t have a size guide as per your location. Say, if you’re located in Australia but the store only displays shoe sizes in US metrics, converting can be a tedious task. Make sure to check the location-based size guide for baby shoes Australia if you’re shopping online to buy sized up.
- Not keeping in mind the weather conditions: Boots look amazing on baby feet, but they may be the wrong choice if you live in a humid climate. Similarly, getting single-layered woolies that seem pretty may have a material too thin for colder climates. Not all the shoes you see for sale are going to suit your baby, so make sure you always invest in weather-appropriate baby shoes if you don’t want them to catch a cold or get too hot.
- Not keeping in mind the delicateness of baby feet: Baby feet are fragile since their bones are still soft like cartilage. Using tough materials and abrasive fabrics can cause a lot of damage to their skin, or hinder bone development. What may feel soft to your skin may not be your infant, given how sensitive their feet are.
- Picking cute shoes that don’t help: Utility has to be one of the top priorities for baby shoes that you buy. Their looks won’t matter if your child can’t get a good grip of the surface or keeps tripping over their feet due to such footwear. Make sure that you don’t choose footwear that resembles those of adults in the baby versions. Baby shoes are crafted specifically for children’s feet to help them crawl, walk and run.
Now that we’ve addressed the infant shoe purchase mistakes to be avoided at all costs, here are some tips to make you more effective from the get-go.
- Buy no more than a size or two bigger for babies: We know we said that babies grow fast. However, buying three sizes up will not help your baby walk or crawl better. Instead, it could trip them and make them more imbalanced than babies usually are. We advise you to buy not more than a size or two up, depending upon the age of your baby and the type of shoes. For example, if your baby can’t crawl yet, it’s okay to get booties a size or two larger than can be laced up well and adjusted. There are plenty of adjustable shoes that can be adjusted with your baby’s growing feet up to three sizes if you’re aiming for economical fashion.
- Get a different pair for indoors and outdoors: Indoor shoes are softer than outdoor ones, and both serve two different purposes. To protect your baby from the elements such as cold, dust, gravel, and sunlight while outside, the material and grip differ. Indoor shoes, on the other hand, are made for comfort so that they feel like a second skin. Make sure that you buy separate pairs for the outdoors and indoors.
- Make sure you check the brand insole: Some shoes look comfortable on the surface, but aren’t. Make sure that you check the insole for bumps and raised surfaces that could poke your baby’s sensitive feet and cause discomfort to them.
- Take the help of experts at the outlet to find the best shoes: When in doubt, just take the advice of the baby shoe experts at the store rather than making the wrong choice.
- Buy shoes that promote movement: Your baby’s shoes will help them walk, crawl, and run better. They are also supposed to help them fall safely. Hence, avoid flimsy footwear like flip-flops that can trip them over or other footwear that is too restrictive to movement.
Giving the best to your child doesn’t mean that you have to spend tonnes of money. It simply means that whatever you buy for them, be it footwear or clothes, is intentionally chosen for their comfort and quality. We hope that our little guide helps you pick baby shoes better!